XXVIII. MAIN DISCUSSION, JANUARY 15 - MAY 15, 2012

Main Discussion Forum

Moderators: Skeptical Bystander, Fly by Night

Re: XXVIII. MAIN DISCUSSION, JANUARY 15 -

Postby SarahH15 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:32 pm

Just read 'Meredith' by John Kercher. A beautiful tribute. A few tears at times throughout reading. I am proud that the little amount of money I paid for this book will, hopefully, go towards the setting up of the Trust Fund in Meredith's honour. The Trust Fund being such a worthy cause. I have noticed that PMF posters are visiting 'Free Meredith Kercher' facebook page and come away disgusted. IMHO, just do not visit, do not go there, you know where the evidence points, with people like that you are banging your head against a wall. I think the best thing we can all do is promote the book and the Trust Fund. I do hope the Trust Fund will get set up as this would be a fitting tribute to the memory of Meredith Kercher, but I hope no family has to go through what the Kerchers endured, ever again. Sadly, I know life is not as fair and simple as that.
SarahH15

Postby Jools » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:34 pm

The psychotic hairdresser and her lot are a vicious, depraved and morally corrupt bunch and probably enjoying the attention they're getting today on that sickening Facebook page. Repulsive lot!
Jools

Postby stilicho » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:42 pm

SarahH15 wrote:Just read 'Meredith' by John Kercher. A beautiful tribute. A few tears at times throughout reading. I am proud that the little amount of money I paid for this book will, hopefully, go towards the setting up of the Trust Fund in Meredith's honour. The Trust Fund being such a worthy cause. I have noticed that PMF posters are visiting 'Free Meredith Kercher' facebook page and come away disgusted. IMHO, just do not visit, do not go there, you know where the evidence points, with people like that you are banging your head against a wall. I think the best thing we can all do is promote the book and the Trust Fund. I do hope the Trust Fund will get set up as this would be a fitting tribute to the memory of Meredith Kercher, but I hope no family has to go through what the Kerchers endured, ever again. Sadly, I know life is not as fair and simple as that.

This is exactly what must be done. There may be no legal recourse against the FB site anyhow so report it and move on to promoting John's book.

Buying the book and providing it for friends, relatives, media people, and others is a great way of getting the story out and doing something positive for Meredith's memory. Anyone who reads "Meredith" and asks for further insights should have Follain's book recommended next as it's the best of the bunch.
“I’m a girl. I never thought girls get arrested for murder. It’s not very ladylike.”
--Kelly Ellard, murderer.
stilicho

Postby Vandelay » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:10 pm

stilicho wrote:
SarahH15 wrote:Just read 'Meredith' by John Kercher. A beautiful tribute. A few tears at times throughout reading. I am proud that the little amount of money I paid for this book will, hopefully, go towards the setting up of the Trust Fund in Meredith's honour. The Trust Fund being such a worthy cause. I have noticed that PMF posters are visiting 'Free Meredith Kercher' facebook page and come away disgusted. IMHO, just do not visit, do not go there, you know where the evidence points, with people like that you are banging your head against a wall. I think the best thing we can all do is promote the book and the Trust Fund. I do hope the Trust Fund will get set up as this would be a fitting tribute to the memory of Meredith Kercher, but I hope no family has to go through what the Kerchers endured, ever again. Sadly, I know life is not as fair and simple as that.

This is exactly what must be done. There may be no legal recourse against the FB site anyhow so report it and move on to promoting John's book.

Buying the book and providing it for friends, relatives, media people, and others is a great way of getting the story out and doing something positive for Meredith's memory. Anyone who reads "Meredith" and asks for further insights should have Follain's book recommended next as it's the best of the bunch.

Well said, completely agree.

Only partially through the book at the moment but have been moved to tears. Really lovely to hear more about Meredith the person, and not just the name. A moving, heart-warming and touching tribute.
Many thanks to John Kercher for writing this.
Vandelay

Postby Tara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:12 pm

stilicho wrote:

Oh, ok Stilicho. This is the right action. However, I was thinking...

In a world full of mayhem and stupidity where nothing mattered; a world the FOA live in, wouldn't it be interesting just to fight fire with fire. Perhaps set up a site just like theirs except, dedicated to Freeing Amanda Knox from her Tortured and Twisted Mind.

This would be my Facebook cover photo choice - It's one of my personal favorites of her showing the depth of her personality, don't you think? She's such a beautiful kid...

We could all comment to our heart's delight and then we could BAN anyone we pleased who questioned our motives. It would be the PERFECT place to promote John Kercher's book too, just like they're promoting Knox and Sollecito's books on Meredith's site!

We could STEAL pictures of Amanda from anywhere we wanted, and pretend we are her friends, that we really, REALLY care about her and her family.

We could even reach more than 28 LIKES, I'll bet!

In addition, we could applaud the efforts of Mignini, Maresca and the entire Prosecutorial Team. Also the 100+ investigators who found evidence AGAINST Amanda. Conversely, why not throw some insults in about the innocenti books, and their authors; Dimsey, Burley, Brucie & the gang. After all, we've set up the site dedicated to Mandy, and how sorry we are for her family and her ordeal. Excuse me for a moment...I need a tissue.

Oh, it could be a magnificant site indeed.

I had even come up with a proposed name for our project; The BUCKET Brigade, named after our own BucketofTea!
AK.410.jpg

Alas, PMF is so much better than that.

I'm worried about H9. Did you not like your present?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please register or log in.
“If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything” ~Mark Twain~
*SAVE ALL CHINCHILLAS* Image
Tara

Postby Skeptical Bystander » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Tara wrote:Regarding the Facebook Page issue, I also recommend going to RIP Meredith Kercher (One of the admins is a family member), and In Memory of Meredith Susanna Cara Kercher. Find the SPAM post where the person is promoting this new page, FREE MEREDITH KERCHER. Report the post, and leave a comment about your feelings about the page. Ask others to do the same.

Also, encourage others to buy John Kercher's book out today, as the proceeds go to a fund set up in Meredith's name.

I hope the page is removed. At the same time, it offers even more evidence that supporters of Amanda Knox are capable of kidnapping Meredith from the grave after she was so brutally murdered and using her memory to make themselves feel good and righteous. Nina Burleigh described Amanda Knox as callous (among other things). Is it really surprising that her cause has attracted such callous people?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point; on le sait en mille choses.
Skeptical Bystander

Postby smacker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Tara wrote:
stilicho wrote:

In a world full of mayhem and stupidity where nothing mattered; a world the FOA live in, wouldn't it be interesting just to fight fire with fire. Perhaps set up a site just like theirs except, dedicated to Freeing Amanda Knox from her Tortured and Twisted Mind.

This would be my Facebook cover photo choice - It's one of my personal favorites of her showing the depth of her personality, don't you think? She's such a beautiful kid...

We could all comment to our heart's delight and then we could BAN anyone we pleased who questioned our motives. It would be the PERFECT place to promote John Kercher's book too, just like they're promoting Knox and Sollecito's books on Meredith's site!

We could STEAL pictures of Amanda from anywhere we wanted, and pretend we are her friends, that we really, REALLY care about her and her family.

In addition, we could applaud the efforts of Mignini, Maresca and the entire Prosecutorial Team. Also the 100+ investigators who found evidence AGAINST Amanda. Conversely, why not throw some insults in about the innocenti books, and their authors; Dimsey, Burley, Brucie & the gang. After all, we've set up the site dedicated to Mandy, and how sorry we are for her family and her ordeal. Excuse me for a moment...I need a tissue.

I had even come up with a proposed name for our project; The BUCKET Brigade, named after our own BucketofTea!
AK.410.jpg

H9 (and Tara)............I plucked up all my courage and sneaked a peak at the picture of AK and the first thought that entered my head was "she'd been up all night shagging as many men in Perugia as possible"

hump-) hump-) hump-) hump-) hump-) hump-) hump-) hump-)
smacker

Postby stilicho » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Tara wrote:
stilicho wrote:....

AK.410.jpg

At a different time of my life, I would have been all in for something like that. :martini:

It's not just that PMF is "better than that". As individuals, I have a huge amount of respect for everyone here and the things that they've done--all across the board. They've been positive, powerful and creative.
“I’m a girl. I never thought girls get arrested for murder. It’s not very ladylike.”
stilicho

Mixing FOA's Profane with the Kerchers' SACRED

Postby The 411 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Jools wrote:The psychotic hairdresser and her lot are a vicious, depraved and morally corrupt bunch and probably enjoying the attention they're getting today on that sickening Facebook page. Repulsive lot!

It's.....vomitevole!! tu-))

How contemptible and selfish of them to mix their self-serving agenda with anything related to Meredith. They show themselves to be such vulgar, arrogant, and completely insensitive people.

NEWS FLASH for the FOA: nnn-)) This really should be obvious, but, evidently the FOA just don't get it:

Meredith and the memory of Meredith belongs to the Kerchers, not to any FOA-driven "cause!"

Meredith's memory is SACRED and nnn-)) it's THE ONLY THING The Kerchers HAVE LEFT of Meredith, thanks to the evil acts of the lyin' love birds and the disgusting promotion of them by their rabid supporters.

I really fail to understand how many of them are so damn thick when it comes to BASIC respect for the bereaved family.

Have they never lost a loved one before? sh-))

Can they not muster up some tiny bit of empathy for what The Kerchers are feeling--not what the FOA wants them to feel?

Have they not EVER LISTENED to the Kerchers? Have they never read the words and feelings of the Kerchers as expressed by Arline and John, in particular? Why can't they simply respect the Kerchers' feelings, instead of lecturing them on how they "should" feel, and what they should do? Image = Ya don't do that!

Stop mixing profane FOA garbage with the sacred memory of Meredith Kercher!

Image of the Kerchers' business and Meredith's matters-NOW!!!
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."
--Gandhi
The 411

Postby Skeptical Bystander » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:49 pm

stilicho wrote:
Tara wrote:
stilicho wrote:....

AK.410.jpg

At a different time of my life, I would have been all in for something like that. :martini:

It's not just that PMF is "better than that". As individuals, I have a huge amount of respect for everyone here and the things that they've done--all across the board. They've been positive, powerful and creative.

I can understand the temptation, but you are right. And now that I'm reading John Kercher's book, I realize that Meredith Kercher too was positive, powerful, creative, generous and incredibly easygoing. She would probably have felt pity for Karen and Michelle, not scorn, and would have just focused on more productive and positive projects. One of the most moving aspects of John Kercher's book is learning that, in spite of his devasation, he sought out EVERYONE who mattered to Meredith Kercher in life (and for whom she mattered) and solicited their memories of his daughter. Mundane, personal, not showy... just very simple and very real. She loved to watch episodes of Friends and knew them all by heart. Her favorite characters were Joey, Chandler and Phoebe. The book is filled with loving details of Meredith, presented without fanfare or fuss. Writing this book must have been extremely painful (but also, one hopes, therapeutic) and what is most moving is John Kercher's incredible generosity in sharing his beloved Meredith with the world.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point; on le sait en mille choses.
Skeptical Bystander

Postby Tara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Don’t be sad, please don’t cry,

Don’t ask what if, or reason why.

Just remember I love you so,

And this I promise you’ll always know.

When you can no longer hear me,

I’ll be the wind whisp’ring in your ear.

When you can no longer feel me,

I’ll be the sun that holds you near.

When the tears run down your cheeks,

My tears join yours, as raindrops fall.

When you feel your heart breaking,

Feel mine break too, as stormy skies will call.

When you can see only darkness,

Look to the sparkling stars and moon,

For I will light the darkest skies,

And you and I will be home soon.

When you’re feeling lost and helpless,

The ground, a pathless quilt of snow.

I’ll be the footprints next to yours,

Hold your hand, a hand you know.

Remember you are never alone,

I am always with you, when you roam.

So close your eyes, I’m with you still.

I haven’t left you, I never will.

By Stephanie Kercher for Meredith's funeral, December 14, 2007

Kercher, John (2012-04-26). Meredith: Our daughter's murder and the heartbreaking quest for the truth (Kindle Locations 1605-1611). Hachette Littlehampton. Kindle Edition.
Tara

Shout-out to H9? Stilicho?

Postby The 411 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Tara wrote:

Not to worry.
It's very easy to miss posts on a busy day like today, Tara.

H-9 are you here?

As for me... :prrr: I don't think I got any feedback from Stilicho... wa-))

I don't want to sound like a :dork2: but I'm wondering if :martini: Stilicho liked his special personalized
Stilicho-a-go-go Smiley I posted of him, earlier today, doing a happy dance about the MEREDITH book.

I don't care what anyone else says, Stilicho--you can really shake it. You're worth your salt on PMF (and elsewhere, I presume !) :giggle:

Once more, here's that special smiley.

Image---> Stilicho-a-go-go in action

The dude is a mover AND a shaker!!
:martini: I really hope Stilicho finds this smiley tribute to him...well, stirring! :giggle:
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."
--Gandhi
The 411

Postby Tara » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Listen up Edda, Chris, Curt and FOA. This is IMPORTANT.

"In her statements, Amanda had repeatedly claimed that ‘Meredith was my friend’. Upon hearing this, my family and I were naturally upset. Meredith had constantly complained to her friends and our family that she was unnerved about the strange men Amanda brought home, and also about Amanda’s bad hygiene habits. A friend of Meredith’s also stated that on a return flight to London from Perugia, Meredith had complained about Amanda for almost the entire journey."

Kercher, John (2012-04-26). Meredith: Our daughter's murder and the heartbreaking quest for the truth (Kindle Locations 2237-2238). Hachette Littlehampton. Kindle Edition.

As you were.
Tara

Postby H9 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Meredith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please register or log in.
H9
Gallery Moderator

Postby Skeptical Bystander » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:36 pm

Until today, I had never thought about the nickname "Foxy Knoxy" from the perspective of Meredith's family. We have been so bombarded with how it came to haunt and hurt Amanda Knox, thanks largely to the tireless efforts of the PR supertanker to insist that Amanda Knox is the only victim we need to concern ourselves with. But John Kercher tells us what it was like for Meredith's loved ones to see the focus shift from the lovely young woman they lost to one of her alleged killers. He says that, for the family, this nickname seemed "somewhat cosy" and not at all reflective of "the horror of the events".
Skeptical Bystander

Postby DavidBerlin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:48 pm

I could not refrain from posting on THAT Facebook page.

>Unfortunately, the most offensive thing about this site is that its creator is seemingly wholly unaware of how tasteless and offensive it is. It makes use of photographs which are not in the public sphere for its own propoganda purposes. I have reported it to Facebook. Simply a disgrace. Shame on you for jettisoning the memory of an innocent woman for your own purposes.<

It lasted four minutes before It was removed and I was banned.

I suggest we keep the administrator on 24/7 watch duty by exploiting time differences. By posting at 9am my time it might have lasted a few hours ;)
DavidBerlin

Postby DavidBerlin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:50 pm

In my anger, I think I misused 'jettison'...
DavidBerlin

Postby Skeptical Bystander » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:57 pm

DavidBerlin wrote:I could not refrain from posting on THAT Facebook page.

>Unfortunately, the most offensive thing about this site is that its creator is seemingly wholly unaware of how tasteless and offensive it is. It makes use of photographs which are not in the public sphere for its own propoganda purposes. I have reported it to Facebook. Simply a disgrace. Shame on you for jettisoning the memory of an innocent woman for your own purposes.<

I suggest we keep the administrator on 24/7 watch duty by exploiting time differences. By posting at 9am my time it might have lasted a few hours ;)

I don't think it matters whether you used the word jettisoned correctly or not. They have jettisoned all pretence of decency, empathy or taste. They have shown themselves to be worthless trash.

I made a couple of posts, just mentioning the book, and they got deleted as well.

It is truly hard to fathom how someone could be so depraved - so very much the opposite of everything the Kerchers are and stand for.
Skeptical Bystander

"Believe in Ultimate Justice" & THE MASK

Postby The 411 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:18 am

Speaking of books: earlier this week, I happened to pick up a used paperback I found while browsing at a used book display.

The little paperback book is entitled:
The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It
by David Niven, Ph.D

The very first page I happened to turn to when I flipped through this used book was a section entitled:
Section 79: Believe in ultimate justice.

Needless to say, it caught my eye, and I will quote from it here.

"That there are many problems in the world is obvious to anyone, but take comfort in the notion that eventually good prevails.

Whether your focus is on the criminal justice system or a spiritual system, realize that those who have wronged the world will eventually pay some price.
"John List was a mild-mannered, unremarkable-looking older man. The kind you saw on the street and didn't give a second thought to. One day a television show did a story on John List.

Decades earlier, this unremarkable man had committed a heinous crime, murdering his family. He assumed another life and hid from his crime for decades.

Did he "get away with it" all those years? Well, he certainly wasn't in prison, but he later described the personal hell of waiting every moment for the mask to be broken :shock: and for his new
world to crumble."
:this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, well, well....My, how the "mask theme" sounds eerily familiar to those of us who have followed this case. ....I think we know someone else wearing that same uncomfortable mask. Amanda called hers the "Maschera dell'assassina" and like John List, Amanda hates wearing that awful mask, but it's a mask she earned herself.

As long as Amanda and Raffaele maintain their criminal deception, they will wear that MASK. For as long as they live.

For the record, John List was a fugitive from justice for 18 years. But, yes, eventually he was captured and convicted, and he died in prison.

Commenting about his premeditated plan to murder family members List said:

"After I made the plan....It's just like D-Day, you go in, there's no stopping after you start," he said.

Another needless, senseless tragedy and a terrible loss of life.

John List and his family--before the 1971 murder
--Gandhi
The 411

Postby TomM » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:12 am

Skeptical Bystander wrote:

I don't think it matters whether you used the word jettisoned correctly or not. They have jettisoned all pretence of decency, empathy or taste. They have shown themselves to be worthless trash.

I made a couple of posts, just mentioning the book, and they got deleted as well.

It is truly hard to fathom how someone could be so depraved - so very much the opposite of everything the Kerchers are and stand for.

Some one owns the right to copy and use those pictures, and I rather doubt that the promoters of that Facebook page bothered to get permission from the copyright holder to put up the photos of Meredith.

Odd approach to promoting reconciliation between the families and their supporters--suppress any reference to John Kercher's book about his daughter.
TomM

Postby Tara » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:33 am

From the dark FB site a couple of hours ago:

"Free Meredith Kercher came under attack by more than a dozen members of various hate groups on the internet, chief among them Perugia Murder File and several Facebook pages. Rather than parlay with these well known bullies, we have banned them and will continue to ban anyone who uses foul or insulting language on this page.

They propose that the admins of this page do not have the right to a Face...book page in honor of Meredith Kercher because we are open to the Defense Point of View. We have been called a "wolf in sheep's clothing" and "sick f**ks" by people who support several dozen Facebook pages and groups devoted to hating Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito.

These same Supporters of Hate have mounted a campaign to shut down this page and we hope that Facebook will see that we have complied with their guidelines and that we are, in fact, victims of bullying.

Under Facebook guidelines the persons attacking us are guilty of breaking Facebook's own guidelines regarding bullying.

Meredith Kercher is not an icon to be bandied about, she is a young woman tragically taken from her family, it is our right to devote a page to her memory.

And it is also our right to present a different point of view for the public just as it has been the right of the haters to manage and support dozens of vicious pages and groups devoted to smearing the reputations of Amanda and Raffaele, as well as, inciting hatred toward anyone who would support them and support the truth.

As a reminder, both were found innocent of harming Meredith in a court of law in 2011, justice for them finally done, and the trial was watched by Naples, Washington DC and London. If there had been any improprieties it would have been noticed.

We know that Facebook will side with Free Meredith Kercher, a page which is the victim of bullying."

I am happy to report that the spam links to that dark FB page that were posted on both the RIP Meredith Kercher and In Memory of Meredith Susanna Cara Kercher (which are BOTH excellent tribute sites) on Facebook have been DELETED. pp-(

**Edited to add: I have posted the comments I left on that site here and ALL 2 of them, (which were deleted before I was BANNED) contained NO profanity.
Last edited by Tara on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tara

Barbie Nadeau on John Kercher's MEREDITH

Postby The 411 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:36 am

John Kercher, father of Meredith Kercher leaves the church after a funeral service at the Parish Church of Croydon, South London, Friday, Dec. 14, 2007., Sang Tan / AP Photo

Barbie Nadeau's article in today's Daily Beast.

Meredith Kercher’s Father on ‘Our Daughter’s Murder’

Apr 26, 2012 6:30 PM EDT

"The young victim in the Amanda Knox story has almost been forgotten amid the mystery in Italy, but Meredith Kercher’s father, John, has just published a book from the family’s point of view. Barbie Latza Nadeau says it’s a moving and essential record of the case.

There have been more than 20 books written about the murder of British Erasmus student Meredith Kercher in both English and Italian since that dreadful day in November 2007 when she was sexually assaulted and brutally murdered in her Perugia apartment. But most books (including Angel Face by this author) tend to focus on murder suspect Amanda Knox, the Seattle native who was convicted and then acquitted of the crime. Now, it’s finally the real victim’s turn. Meredith’s father John Kercher has penned a passionate tome simply called Meredith: our daughter’s murder, and the heartbreaking quest for the truth.

Kercher, who is a journalist, says he originally planned to just write an extended personal diary about everything that happened in Perugia, so he and his ex-wife Arline and their three children Stephanie, Lyle and John would have a record of the events of Meredith’s murder. He was daunted by the thought of writing it for everyone else. “Perhaps, I thought, the process of writing might be too painful. Everything was too close to the moment, the events still vivid, the memories too personal,” he writes in his foreword. “It was not an easy task to confront.”

But for anyone who closely followed the events, it is a good thing he conquered those fears. Kercher’s book is essential reading on this case, because it gives the first view to date from inside the fishbowl. Knox and her boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito are both writing books on their versions of the murder and trials, but Kercher’s brings to life the most silent voice in this saga—that of the woman who was killed.

Kercher writes in vivid detail about what he and his family went through during each unthinkable step in the process, peppering every experience with a poignant memory of Meredith’s life. He begins the book with his last conversation with his daughter, and how quickly their lives all changed only a day later, when they found out she had been murdered. Kercher describes calling the foreign desk of the Daily Mirror newspaper, where he had freelanced over the years, to see if they knew the name of the victim, and describes his mind-numbing reaction when a timid desk assistant told him, “The name going ‘round Italy is Meredith.”

Kercher writes in an easy, somewhat apologetic first-person voice, tucking in details about why Meredith chose to study in Perugia and how during a class trip in high school she decided she would one day live in Italy, a country she fell in love with as a young child when the Kerchers vacationed there. He gives new details about Meredith that the press who followed the case never uncovered, including how Meredith’s former boyfriend Lloyd proposed to her in a Japanese restaurant shortly before she left for Perugia. She declined, but kept the ring for a few days before giving it back. He also pays homage to each of Meredith’s close friends, both those from her hometown and those in Perugia, and describes in painful detail what it was like to read the cards on the flowers left in tribute both in Italy and England after her death.

But Meredith is more than memoriam; it is also a valuable textbook on the details of the criminal trial. Considering that he is writing about the murder trial of his daughter, Kercher manages to be surprisingly dispassionate when it comes to the evidentiary facts of the case. He knows them well, from the moribund details of the forensics to the quirky nature of much of the circumstantial evidence that initially convicted Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, before the appeal. He is also candid about their financial struggles—the fact that the British Foreign service did not pay their travel expenses, but how they felt it important to hire an independent DNA expert to present evidence in the case, despite their financial constraints.

Kercher describes calling the foreign desk of the Daily Mirror newspaper to see if they knew the name of the victim. “The name going ’round Italy is Meredith.”

In one of the book’s most heart-wrenching scenes, he describes the surreal night Knox and Sollecito were convicted of the murder and how the courtroom was silent when the judge read the guilty verdict. “I looked towards Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollectio: gone was the confidence and smile that Knox had displayed throughout the pretrial and trial. Then, as the judge delivered his pronouncement, in an Italian I could not understand, I watched her collapsing forward. I saw her parents’ look of disbelief.”

Kercher also walks the reader through what their family considered the even more painful and confusing events that followed the guilty verdict, and how the American press and some British outlets embraced Knox’s claims of innocence during the appeal, sacrificing Meredith’s memory in the process. Meredith’s name, he points out, was frequently left out of news stories, which became more and more focused on Knox during the appellate process. For the Kercher family, which had just begun their closure with the guilty verdicts, the process of retrying the case and reliving those painful details of their daughter’s murder all over again in the appeal was almost too much to bear.

When Knox and Sollecito were acquitted, Kercher, who had suffered a stroke in 2009, stayed in England rather than travel to Perugia. Hearing the acquittal was like hearing her daughter’s death all over again. “Hundreds of miles away from the centre of the events, I sat stunned and open-mouthed … To hear that they had been acquitted and exonerated of any blame in Meredith’s death was staggering.” Kercher’s book may be billed as a chronicle of a family’s pain over a brutal murder, but it is also a reminder that living in the epicenter of one of the world’s biggest media cases does nothing to deaden the pain."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Barbie Latza Nadeau, author of the Beast Book Angel Face, about Amanda Knox, has reported from Italy for Newsweek since 1997 and for The Daily Beast since 2009. She is a frequent contributor to CNN Traveller, Departures, Discovery, and Grazia. She appears regularly on CNN, the BBC, and NPR.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... urder.html
--Gandhi
The 411

Postby Skeptical Bystander » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:38 am

Tara wrote:From the dark FB site a couple of hours ago:

"Free Meredith Kercher came under attack by more than a dozen members of various hate groups on the internet, chief among them Perugia Murder File and several Facebook pages. Rather than parlay with these well known bullies, we have banned them and will continue to ban anyone who uses foul or insulting language on this page.

They propose that the admins of this page do not have the right to a Face...book page in honor of Meredith Kercher because we are open to the Defense Point of View. We have been called a "wolf in sheep's clothing" and "sick f**ks" by people who support several dozen Facebook pages and groups devoted to hating Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito.

These same Supporters of Hate have mounted a campaign to shut down this page and we hope that Facebook will see that we have complied with their guidelines and that we are, in fact, victims of bullying.

Under Facebook guidelines the persons attacking us are guilty of breaking Facebook's own guidelines regarding bullying.

Meredith Kercher is not an icon to be bandied about, she is a young woman tragically taken from her family, it is our right to devote a page to her memory.

And it is also our right to present a different point of view for the public just as it has been the right of the haters to manage and support dozens of vicious pages and groups devoted to smearing the reputations of Amanda and Raffaele, as well as, inciting hatred toward anyone who would support them and support the truth.

As a reminder, both were found innocent of harming Meredith in a court of law in 2011, justice for them finally done, and the trial was watched by Naples, Washington DC and London. If there had been any improprieties it would have been noticed.

We know that Facebook will side with Free Meredith Kercher, a page which is the victim of bullying."

I am happy to report that the spam links to that dark FB page that were posted on both the RIP Meredith Kercher and In Memory of Meredith Susanna Cara Kercher (which are BOTH excellent tribute sites) on Facebook have been DELETED. pp-(

**Edited to add: I have posted the comments I left on that site here and ALL 2 of them, (which were deleted before I was BANNED) contained NO profanity.

As Tom pointed out, it looks as if this vile page is using photos from John Kercher's book, certainly without permission and, oddly, without allowing any links to the book itself. Perhaps the best way to go is to get the publisher to lean on FB. Maybe Pete knows how to contact someone from Hachette or perhaps John Kercher's agent.

If they gave a shit about Meredith or her family, these Knox apologists would shut down their vile enterprise. But they don't and won't unless FB makes them.
Skeptical Bystander

When crime pays...

Postby The 411 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 am

The website set up for accused murderer George Zimmerman has already raised more than $200,000,according to his attorney Mark O'Mara.

And yet, just last Friday at his bond hearing , Zimmerman claimed to be indigent. For that reason, Zimmerman's bond was set at only $150,000, and he was later released from prison.

His the defense attorney allegedly just found out the news about his windfall... yesterday!

I've just heard TV news legal pundit /defense attorney Mark Geragos say he expects that Zimmerman will net "between $2-5 million dollars" in online donations, alone. :shock:

This is SO UNFAIR TO FOXY!!! wa-)) Cuz Zimmerman didn't even have to write a book for his money! His family didn't have to organize nor hold a comedy and bowling fund-raiser for that!!!!!! wa-))

I'm guessing....but at this point...doesn't look like Zimmerman's retired judge father will have to take out any second mortgages, run up credit-card debt or deplete his retirement funds? :thinking:
--Gandhi
The 411

Postby jfk1191 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:01 am

The John Kercher book was so well written, Mr. Kercher took the reader through every emotion. I admit getting choked up a few times. He's really good at capturing his, and others, feelings. It was such a well done writing too, imo, excellent layout/flow.

I was captivated again, when he mentioned the testimony of Filomena. Twice he mentions Filomena testified the conversation detail Nov. 2, that Amanda said she had already called the police, but the cell log doesnt support this. Filomenas calls were before Raffaele called his sister, or the 112. I looked up the cell logs again, and Filomenas calls were 16minutes before Raffaele called Vanessa, and even later 112.

The read made me wonder, "how can someone be incorrect of the fact, of calling the police? "

I can understand not watching the clock. I can understand not remembering exact precisions, not remembering details of a conversation, when numerous calls were made. But to say "I called the police" when I hadn't brings great suspicion. I'd ;like to read Filomenas translated testimony, not much on the internet of this Feb 2009 info.

Mr. Kercher really pulls the reader into his "world" through this case. So interesting to better understand his view of this case, heartbreaking and uplifting...
jfk1191

Re: Shout-out to H9? Stilicho?

Postby stilicho » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:29 am

The 411 wrote:....

As for me... :prrr: I don't think I got any feedback from Stilicho... wa-))

I don't want to sound like a :dork2: but I'm wondering if :martini: Stilicho liked his special personalized
Stilicho-a-go-go Smiley I posted of him, earlier today, doing a happy dance about the MEREDITH book.

I don't care what anyone else says, Stilicho--you can really shake it. You're worth your salt on PMF (and elsewhere, I presume !) :giggle:

Once more, here's that special smiley.

Image---> Stilicho-a-go-go in action

The dude is a mover AND a shaker!!
:martini: I really hope Stilicho finds this smiley tribute to him...well, stirring! :giggle:

:curtain:

Yep, I'm here. I didn't realise I was supposed to offer smiley reviews too! There's a bit of the Charleston in that one. Either that or The Three Stooges?
stilicho

Postby stilicho » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:37 am

Skeptical Bystander wrote:
Tara wrote:From the dark FB site a couple of hours ago:

As Tom pointed out, it looks as if this vile page is using photos from John Kercher's book, certainly without permission and, oddly, without allowing any links to the book itself. Perhaps the best way to go is to get the publisher to lean on FB. Maybe Pete knows how to contact someone from Hachette or perhaps John Kercher's agent.

If they gave a shit about Meredith or her family, these Knox apologists would shut down their vile enterprise. But they don't and won't unless FB makes them.

If they're using copyrighted plates from John's book then the publisher should be told directly. All you have to do is to send the links to their general email address.

I would also caution anyone from using profanity on a Facebook site--even one you disagree with.
stilicho

Re: The Book

Postby Earthling » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 am

Catnip wrote:It had been a spectacular sunset. Just a few minutes before setting, the sun peeped out all burnished glowing gold from behind the cloak of a distant cloud-layer over the mountains far on the horizon. It sprayed a golden feathery canopy overhead, the high cirrus clouds like a ceiling, and lit up the curve of the ocean, equally far to the east, in a luminous pale turquoise-green light that would have left a Renaissance artist in aching despair for years trying to capture on his palette.

Later, waiting at Circular Quay Railway Station for the train home this evening and having a few minutes to spare to watch the ferries arriving and departing, I began to think about pre-orders and to wonder what Amazon’s definition of “26 April” was, whether it had started already, since Sydney was (and is) so far ahead of Perugia time, or whether there were still some more hours to wait, for example, for the warehouse on the West Coast of the US to catch up.

Switching on the Kindle answered the question straightaway: John Kercher’s book started downloading. About ten seconds or so later, it was ready.

Down on the broad-walk, the usual Thursday-night saxophonist busker began playing ABBA (this is Australia, after all :) ): it was Dancing Queen (“Friday night, and the lights are low, Looking out for the place to go”). There were a fair number of people strolling about, happy, enjoying the balmy autumn evening ambience and going about their way: late-night shoppers, people, friends and family groups, going to restaurants and theatres, to the Opera House, or the newly-refurbished MCA, down to The Rocks, and other places.

A Manly ferry arrived and berthed at the wharf. The lights played on the harbour waters. I took a photo. My train arrived, and I got on, sat down. The train started to pull slowly away from the platform, accompanied by the musical strains of Dancing Queen on the sax. I started reading.

Lo and behold! Very near the beginning, I soon came across this passage.
I read:

"Many of her closest friends met me for a coffee in London, where they recounted memories of her. Most of the stories were extremely amusing and often gave me an insight into Meredith that even I might never have known. I had no idea, for example, that she was such a good dancer; though I had seen her at her ballet classes, I had never imagined her on a dance floor, dancing in her favourite 1980s music."
— John Kercher,
Meredith: Our daughter's murder and the heartbreaking quest for the truth, (2012)
[Hodder & Stoughton: Kindle edition, 2012],
at location 114.

Serendipity!

I continued reading up to about halfway through chapter two before it was time to get off at my station.

On the walk home, and this may be strange to say, I was infused with an elation, a joy. From reading about Meredith.

The effect Meredith had on her friends and family, and on those who became her friends, was (and is) such a positive one. Effortlessly.

It comes through in the writing. It is real writing.

20120426_s.jpg

Beautiful. Thank you, Catnip.

You brought Sydney to life for me, as well.
Earthling

Postby stilicho » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:42 am

jfk1191 wrote:The John Kercher book was so well written, Mr. Kercher took the reader through every emotion. I admit getting choked up a few times. He's really good at capturing his, and others, feelings. It was such a well done writing too, imo, excellent layout/flow.

I was captivated again, when he mentioned the testimony of Filomena. Twice he mentions Filomena testified the conversation detail Nov. 2, that Amanda said she had already called the police, but the cell log doesnt support this. Filomenas calls were before Raffaele called his sister, or the 112. I looked up the cell logs again, and Filomenas calls were 16minutes before Raffaele called Vanessa, and even later 112.

The read made me wonder, "how can someone be incorrect of the fact, of calling the police? "

I can understand not watching the clock. I can understand not remembering exact precisions, not remembering details of a conversation, when numerous calls were made. But to say "I called the police" when I hadn't brings great suspicion. I'd ;like to read Filomenas translated testimony, not much on the internet of this Feb 2009 info.

Mr. Kercher really pulls the reader into his "world" through this case. So interesting to better understand his view of this case, heartbreaking and uplifting...

Isn't the information about the impact of Filomena's testimony interesting? Filomena knew what was going on immediately. Her testimony was also a feature of the first trial that Hellmann did not have the benefit of hearing. He should have. It's the same thing as visiting the cottage and looking at the alleged entry point used by the phantom burglar.

Sometimes you have to be there and experience things to isolate and capture the truth from all the conjecture and wild speculation. The good that John has done by including these experiences is to expose crucial elements of the FOA case as entirely fraudulent.
stilicho

Postby Earthling » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:49 am

Tara wrote:This book is so moving, so touching to the core. When Mr. Kercher and the people who knew Meredith describe her, I find myself with an ache to hear her laugh, her voice, just once.

What a remarkable girl, what an incredible young woman she was.

wa-))

RIP Meredith. Today is a good day for you. Your father has done you proud, girl.

Thanks, Tara, for the wonderfully expressed sentiments.
Earthling

Postby stilicho » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:09 am

Earthling wrote:
Tara wrote:This book is so moving, so touching to the core. When Mr. Kercher and the people who knew Meredith describe her, I find myself with an ache to hear her laugh, her voice, just once.

What a remarkable girl, what an incredible young woman she was.

wa-))

RIP Meredith. Today is a good day for you. Your father has done you proud, girl.

Thanks, Tara, for the wonderfully expressed sentiments.

I'd also like to take a moment to remember that there was a second victim in this case and that's Patrick. He probably won't write a book nor become as important in peoples' memories as Meredith is. However, it's important to note that every court involved--including Hellmann's--agreed that Knox was entirely willing to destroy his business, his relationships with family and friends, and his image in the community, to save herself in desperation from a murder charge. Unlike Meredith, he is able to repair those things but nobody at all was fooled about AK's complicity.

Patrick was fortunate. Some people who are falsely accused of sexual assault and murder do not survive the ordeal.
stilicho

Postby Skeptical Bystander » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:14 am

Hi everyone,
I'm writing a cross post about John Kercher's book for my blog and TJMK. I won't call it a review of the book because that is not what I want to do. For one thing, Barbie Nadeau has written an excellent review, which I will link to. What I want to write is something along the lines of 10 reasons you should read this important book. I'd love input from anyone who is reading it now.

I've spent the better part of today with the book. Like Catnip, I saw an extraordinary sunset tonight. The clarity of the world around me was almost magical. The devil is in the details, but so is the angel. I still can't get over the extraordinary courage and generosity of John Kercher.
Skeptical Bystander

Re: Barbie Nadeau on John Kercher's MEREDITH

Postby brmull » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:06 am

While I thought Nadeau's book review was generally very good, there is some uncharacteristically sloppy word choice. The FOA are all over this already like junkyard dogs.

Nadeau wrote:from the moribund details of the forensics to the quirky nature of much of the circumstantial evidence...
brmull

Re: Barbie Nadeau on John Kercher's MEREDITH

Postby Skeptical Bystander » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:22 am

brmull wrote:While I thought Nadeau's book review was generally very good, there is some uncharacteristically sloppy word choice. The FOA are all over this already like junkyard dogs.

Nadeau wrote:from the moribund details of the forensics to the quirky nature of much of the circumstantial evidence...

Is that all they have to get their sharp, pointed little teeth around? Sad.
Skeptical Bystander

Postby bucketoftea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:49 am

>Unfortunately, the most offensive thing about this site is that its creator is seemingly wholly unaware of how tasteless and offensive it is. It makes use of photographs which are not in the public sphere for its own propoganda purposes. I have reported it to Facebook. Simply a disgrace. Shame on you for jettisoning the memory of an innocent woman for your own purposes

They're not unaware. They don't care. They have a job to do.
"There is no evidence and what there is is unreliable" Ted Simon
bucketoftea

Postby jar » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:57 am

In so far as it purports to be anything other than just another Groupie site I can't see anything but self-defeating purpose in the FB page.

One expects nothing less from the bottom feeders of course, but were I close to or part of the family I would be rather concerned about this. Anyone can see that the site is sickening cant and hypocrisy and that it lays the Knox/Mellas family wide open to attack by association. If Curt, Edda and Chris can't see this then they are a lot dumber than I thought. It's not a question of sharing values but just recognizing the importance of that of respect and tact. The longer they do not protest, the more that says about the sort of people they are.
jar

Postby hugo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:23 am

I specially liked the Fakebook stooges' claim that the trial was 'watched by Naples, Washington DC and London.'

Naples? It's not as if it's one of those tricky ones like the state capital of New York, is it?

The photographs they're misappropriating (without acknowledgement and without even allowing reference to John's book) are John Kercher's copyright, so it depends how Facebook feels about being a party to piracy, I suppose.
hugo

Postby bucketoftea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:52 am

Naples, Idaho?
bucketoftea

Postby bucketoftea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:55 am

Naples, Sweden?
bucketoftea

Postby Popper » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:06 am

hugo wrote:I specially liked the Fakebook stooges' claim that the trial was 'watched by Naples, Washington DC and London.'

Naples? It's not as if it's one of those tricky ones like the state capital of New York, is it?

The photographs they're misappropriating (without acknowledgement and without even allowing reference to John's book) are John Kercher's copyright, so it depends how Facebook feels about being a party to piracy, I suppose.

in my view just extreme ignorance
Popper

Postby Aquila » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:18 am

Regarding the dreadful Facebook page, something tells me it will not last. Surely it has to self-destruct soon due to the sheer crassness and stupidity of those who set it up. Already some ghastly woman has posted a comment on how "hot" she finds one of Meredith's brothers. Much more of that sort of thing and they have to show themselves up for what they are. Cringeworthy.

My Kindle is charging up ready to download John Kercher's book. Am so looking forward to reading it.
Aquila

Postby herbstwind » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:09 am

I am in the middle of reading "Meredith" and I am very moved. Thank you, John Kercher, for this valuable insight in your family`s and Meredith`s life. Meredith was very lucky to have you as her father! Mr. Kercher seems like such a fine, sensitive and cultured man!

I didn`t know, that there were more bloody footprints by Sollecito, than the one on the bathmat! Or did I misunderstand something?

At the main trial in 2009, when Lorenzo Rinaldi, the director of the print identity division of the scientific police, was called to testify, he said, using visual demonstration on a screen in the court: ‘From our investigations we were able to conclude that the footprint found on the bath mat was compatible with that of Sollecito, as was one we found in the corridor outside, again using luminol. We also found that a naked footprint found in Knox’s bedroom and in the corridor outside, again using luminol, was compatible with one taken from that person.’

Kercher, John (2012-04-26). Meredith: Our daughter's murder and the heartbreaking quest for the truth (Kindle Locations 1841-1843). Hachette Littlehampton. Kindle Edition. mpton. Kindle Edition.
herbstwind

Postby bucketoftea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:31 am

The postman has been and gone again without my pre-ordered copy of "Meredith". I hope that means they are struggling with the rush. :D
bucketoftea

Postby herbstwind » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:09 pm

H9 wrote:Meredith

Beautiful picture of lovely Meredith! Meredith has such an open and friendly face (unlike Knox)!
herbstwind

Postby bucketoftea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:53 pm

She does, and I'm positive her gorgeousness and heart shining out from the cover will attract a lot of attention.
bucketoftea

Postby Skeptical Bystander » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:24 pm

bucketoftea wrote:The postman has been and gone again without my pre-ordered copy of "Meredith". I hope that means they are struggling with the rush. :D

I couldn't wait for the print version. I'm nearly done. John Kercher's assessments of Knox (and Sollecito) are gently devastating:

When Amanda Knox was called to take the stand in the court, I was shocked to discover that her language was more like that of a high-school teenager than a mature young woman.

And a bit further on, he quotes Knox's reply to Maresca's question about whether or not she had suffered because of the death of her 'friend' (the word is in single quotation marks because, as John Kercher makes clear, for the Kerchers and for Merediths real friends, the two were certainly not 'friends') - where she says she only knew Meredith for a month and "first of all, I'm trying to get on with my life". John Kercher writes:

This, I thought, was an extremely callous response regarding the murder of somebody with whom she was claiming to be friends.

He then provides the courtroom sequence where Knox is questioned about the phone call with her mother that she claims not to remember. And boy, does Knox sound like she is skating on thin ice! John Kercher notes:

Listening to this in England and reading transcripts, I found it extremely confusing. It seemed as if Amanda had no idea what she was talking about.

Knox is either lying about her friendship with Meredith or she is the most insensitive person on earth, capable of carrying on a one-side friendship with someone who has made it clear to everyone who matters in her life that there is no such friendship. Or both.
Skeptical Bystander

"The Guilty?"(Black man NOT found on FB page)

Postby The 411 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm so confused...

The vile FB site still proclaims its goal is "working towards peace and fellowship among the Innocent and the Guilty for the sake of Meredith and her family."

That's what it says: the "Innocenti"(Innocent) and the "Colpevoli." (Guilty) The Innocent and the Guilty.

For the record, this FB page does not mention or include in the fellowship any "Guilters." That might explain why our comments are deleted.

This FB page is NOT catering to "The Guilters," folks. It's not promoting fellowship with the "Guilters", it's only encouraging fellowship with "The Guilty."

:thinking: Yet, as far as I know.....
according to this delusional group, ONLY RUDY GUEDE qualifies as "GUILTY," right? :wolf:

And yet...

to date, there has been no trace, no speck, not a single mention of Rudy on this FB page, the one and only "COLPEVOLE."

How come? sh-))

Doesn't this seem to be a case of "black man found" guilty, black man not mentioned???

As a "guilty" person...THE ONLY guilty person......Isn't Rudy entitled to partake in....

"Peace and fellowship among the Innocent and the Guilty???"

If not, why not?

I notice one of the site rules is:
No insults or verbal abuse of persons, cultures or nations.
And yet this picture is posted in the spirit of "peace and fellowship" "for the sake of Meredith and her family."

See- Get it? Wink-wink-nod-nod-Italian...get it? Pinocchio--he's Italian--he's a liar...Italian lying lawyers????

:punish2: What a creepy, despicable people and place.
--Gandhi
The 411

Postby bucketoftea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Is it possible we detect the hand of "social network strategist" Seth Chandler there?
bucketoftea

Postby tfyfeuk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:06 pm

bucketoftea wrote:Is it possible we detect the hand of "social network strategist" Seth Chandler there?

I don't think so. The Hairdresser is the key protagonist and the driving force behind this page - IMO There is a another page which is equally repulsive - "free amanda knox" and she is frequently there commenting in her own "unique" style [Sigh].........

This is the same old "propoganda" that has been sported on that page.......
tfyfeuk

Postby hugo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:12 pm

bucketoftea wrote:Naples, Idaho?

There is actually a Naples FL, a Naples NY and a Naples TX. There is also, of course, Napoli itself. And none of them is the capital of Italy, as Karen the Stylist or whatever complete fool is behind that Fakebook page imagines.
hugo

PreviousNext

Return to The Murder of Meredith Kercher